Twitter Updates

Friday, May 11, 2007

Travellering #11: My Favourite Haunts in Kathmandu

As I was asked by someone the other day a recommendation of a place to go in Kathmandu, I thought I might as well post a list of my favourite spots and endorsements…

My Favourite Spots in the Thamel district, Kathmandu
(in no particular order…)

- Helena's restaurant for it's 5th floor rooftop patio where you can order chai and look out over the city...
- The New Orleans Cafe for its pretty courtyard and good coffee and food...
- The Organic Cafe for its excellent fresh and healthy salads...
- The Full Moon Café (bar) for live jazz Thursday nights, casual cushion seating and a fun, mixed crowd (I was becoming a regular there, see post!)...
- Fire and Ice restaurant for their excellent pizzas...
- KToo restaurant is good for steaks if you're hankering for one...
- My favourite Internet café was the large one next door to the Full Moon Café because it was large (always a computer available), cheap and the connection seemed the most reliable...

- I stayed at the Potala Guesthouse for $8 USD a night for a single room (double bed) with attached, private bathroom. You can get cheaper and you can get more expensive of course so it pays to look around. The doubles were $10 USD, which was a fine deal I thought. I liked the place and the staff was friendly and relaxed. I did not however, really care for their restaurant.

And I like all the restaurants when the power goes out as they've got candles everywhere. It adds atmosphere and many were actually nicer and cooler that way than with the lights on. It would be great for a romantic date actually!

As well as the often unplanned ones, the district apparently has regular “load shedding” outages every Tuesdays and Thursdays afternoons from 4 (or 5?) to 8pm (it was like clockwork) so you could actually time a date to one. I’m serious.

I cannot easily tell you, however, how to get to any of these places without you being there and knowing a little of the streets. Most of my directions by necessity will be based on landmarks such as “go right up the street from the Kathmandu Guesthouse” or “it’s right across from the North Face Official Store” (Fire and Ice). Just the way it is in the twisting streets and alleys of Thamel. If you're in town and can't find a place, let me know and we'll find a system that works for both of us. ;-)

Where are your favourite haunts? Did I forget or miss a great place? Add your comments. I’ll check them out next time I’m there.


My Endorsement of my Trekking Agency:
If you are interested in trekking or other recreation activities, as I posted before, I unconditionally recommend the agent and guide I had. They were excellent, helpful, easy going and good natured. I would (and probably will) use them again so I recommend them to anyone.

Puru the guide manager who co-ordinated the whole trek was flawless in planning and executing the trek and did an excellent job in hosting us for the whole time we were in Nepal. And Mr Shreeram Adhikari, our excellent guide, was such fun to trek with and highly knowledgeable of the local terrain. We could not have had a better person take us around this beautiful country. You can reach Puru or Shreeram at their mail ID given below:

Puru – tpurushotam {at} hotmail.com
Shreeram - shreeram20 {at} hotmail.com
And the company website: www.nepalguidetrek.com


Happy travels and if you’re there, have an Everest beer for me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey hey.. well the samosa place that rocks your world has to be on the list.. at the south of thamel.. near chherapati chowk..... head that way and you'll find it. also for a trip to mini israel.. for yummy food.. and some amazing cake and veg juices.. OR2k also has to be on there.. for the best chai... head down a little random back street and find a man on the foot path.... ahh kathmandu!